This is a quilt I made for my niece Hunter. I started it about two years ago, and gave it to her this past March, it is a twin size. I actually started it because I had a great idea for a quilt for my niece Rylee, colored circles on a brown background! Although I have sewn many curves in clothing, sewing a curve that has to lay flat in a quilt is much different, and intimidating to me, so I still haven't even started that quilt. At the time Hunter and Rylee shared a bedroom so I thought it would be really cute to have a circle quilt and a square quilt. Since I like to sew straight lines I started on the square quilt. I made the pattern up. I started with the center square and cut a 2", 3", and 4" square of each fabric I had(somehow brown didn't make it in this quilt). then I added borders around that. I thought it would work out perfectly but it didn't and I had to add a 1" border on some of the blocks. I used the leftover strips to make the piano key border. Of course I didn't have enough scraps for the whole thing so I had to cute more strips for that too. The back of the quilt is a black and white print, which is why I did a black binding. I hand quilted it with spirals in each block, I also made up the quilting design. I used a thick thread so it really stands out. I think it turned out really cute. I have a tendancy to reinvent the wheel when I make a quilt, because I like the design process. So now that I look back at this I realize I could have done it a few different ways, which might have been easier, oh well, I had fun making it and Hunter likes it, which is all that really matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment